Currently, our focus is on Nicaragua and more specifically on the Refugee Camp called Nueva Vida. This is a community for about 15,000 survivors from hurricane Mitch. In 1998 around 1500 families who lost everything were moved to two cow pastures in Cuidad Sandino. Each family was given a 10' x 15' plot of land and a plastic tarp for shelter. While some families still live in these conditions most families in the past few years nowlive in a small concrete structure. This area has tremendous need for outside support. Due to hurricane Mitch:
- 521,000 houses were damaged or destroyed.
- 8,000 kilometers of roads were impassable.
- 70 bridges were destroyed.
- 343 schools damaged or destroyed.
- 416 health centers damaged or destroyed.
- Total damages: $1.5 billion - twice the annual GNP.